Updated: Mar 31, 2020
What if I told you that there’s something that you could make by spending exactly one minute in the morning, and that it would provide you with over 9 health benefits?
You may be just as unconvinced as I was when I first heard it, but trust me on this- it’s true!
All I’m talking about here is just spending a minute in the morning to make for yourself a glass of lemon water. The combination of lemon juice and warm water does all kinds of miracles to our bodies.
Most people drink it only because they believe it aids with weight loss, however, it’s a lesser known fact that a drink as simple as this has numerous health benefits, weight loss being just one of them.
Given that it’s an absolutely delicious warm beverage, and that it only takes a minute to make, there’s really no reason not to be taking advantage of this every single day!
But before we jump onto the benefits, first things first. How do we make it the ideal way?
Here’s how -
Squeeze the juice of half a lemon (organic if possible) into a cup of lukewarm filtered water. Avoid using boiling or ice cold water as it takes longer for your body to digest. If you find the taste of this to be too sour or borderline bitter, you can add a hint of honey, or some rock-salt to balance out the flavours. And that’s all it takes. Just the simplest thing in the world to make, don’t you agree?
Now that we know it’s easy to make, let’s move on the benefits.
And mind you, there are quite a few things to talk about here. So let’s begin.
1. It boosts digestion. Lemon water is known to flush out unwanted toxins from our bodies. On doing so, it quickly helps in relieving symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, constipation, and bloating.
2. It improves the immune system. The high amounts of Vitamin C in lemons helps us to fight weather changes and other environmental factors commonly associated with everyday ailments and diseases. Lemons are also high in potassium which is known to stimulate brain development and nerve function.
3. It detoxifies our system. The combination of warm of water with lemon juice acts as a natural diuretic, which aids in release of toxins from our bodies at a faster rate than usual. Moreover, the presence of citric acid in the drink also maximises the enzyme function which keeps our liver healthy.
4. It balances the bodily pH levels. Lemons are an incredibly alkaline food. While they are acidic independently, once they enter our bodies, they metabolize and become alkaline. Due to this alkalising property of the drink, it helps in removing uric acid from our joints, thereby stopping inflammation and pain.
5. It clears our skin. The lemon-water drink is also high in antioxidants and vitamin C, both of which are powerful agents for decreasing the signs wrinkles and blemishes. The alkaline nature of it also kills certain varieties of bacteria known to cause acne.
6. It aids in weight loss. This is probably what the drink is most famous for. But do you know why it helps in weight loss? Due to the high content of pectin fiber, lemon water helps fight untimely hunger and unnecessary food cravings, leading to a healthy weight loss over time.
7. It energizes our body & enhances our mood. The negatively charged ions in lemons provides our bodies with instant energy as soon as they enter our digestive tract. Moreover, the scent of lemon has been proven to lift the mood and reduce anxiety and depression.
8. It promotes faster healing. Ascorbic acid is found in abundance in lemons and is known to promote faster healing of wounds and cuts. It is also an essential micronutrient for maintaining healthy bones, tissue, and cartilage.
9. It freshens the breath. And, not just that, it’s also helps reduce tooth pain and other common oral health problems. However, citric acid can erode tooth enamel too, hence it is advised for you to use a straw to drink it, and have it only after brushing your teeth first.
There you have it.
Brain, teeth, immune system, liver, digestive system, skin, and bones are all taken care of by just one miracle drink.
Do you need more reasons to take a minute out of your busy schedules to incorporate this habit? I know I don’t. :)